Friday, August 2, 2013

High Heels and Dirty Dishes column 3


I am officially one animal closer to being labeled “Animal Hoarder”.   I am now the owner of 3 dogs, 2 cats, and a horse.  This was never my plan.  The first dog we have is Gunner; he is an outside dog, and is 11 years old.  About 7 years ago a stray female cat had a litter of 8 kittens and deserted the 1 week old babies in our playhouse.  I don’t mean to offend anyone, but I am not a cat lover.  I couldn’t let them die though, so with advice from the Humane Society and the local vet we took the kittens in.   $200 worth of supplies later. . . I had kitten milk, bottles, heating pads, and towels, I had to feed the kittens every 2 hours, and I quickly learned kittens that young don’t know how to go to the bathroom.  Rubber gloves, a wet paper towel and some stimulation over the toilet later they do go.  I honestly thought that I was going to have to go to therapy after that whole ordeal.  That is where my journey from 1 dog to “Animal Hoarder” started.  Now there is Oscar Peterson my miniature Schnauzer, Tillie Peterson my daughters crossed eyed cat, Orville Peterson my ½ English Toy Spaniel and ½ Cocker Spaniel, and now after last week we have Remington (Remy) Peterson my son’s black kitten.  He was what I like to call an unplanned pregnancy.  It was the first night of the fair and my son was running towards me holding this kitten.  My first words – WHERE DID YOU GET THAT.  He responded, “Don’t worry mom, it’s from the Free People”.  I looked in Nolan’s eyes and knew that there was no way that kitten was not going home with me without a major meltdown.  So with some former advice from my mother on “Picking Your Battles”. . . I have officially become that person that has to buy 50 pound bags of dog food, and the economy size containers of kitty litter.  The collection of animal’s toys now has a special “Toy Box”, and I talk to my animals like they little children.  My only saving grace in this whole situation is that I pray that my children have many kids just like them, and they live within 20 minutes of me.  Close enough that I can see them whenever I want, and far enough away that I can leave and have my own space.  I then will sit and wait patiently by the phone for the call that I get from them saying, “Can you believe what my kid just did”, from the tone of my parent’s voice it’s a wonderful payback.  Last week I dropped my son off at tennis practice and he wouldn’t hug me because “I would embarrass him”.  So when he started to walk around my side of the truck, I rolled down my window waved like a mad woman and loudly said, “HAVE A GOOD DAY AT TENNIS NOLAN. . .MOMMY LOVES YOU”.  The look on his face = priceless.  Since then hugs are in abundance because he knows the alternative.   Then my daughter had the nerve to ask me if it bothered me when I see other moms that are really pretty with kids.  So I smacked her on the head.  Yes, I realize that is not the correct parenting style, but come on here it didn’t hurt.  I honestly think that she was serious.   As I explain in graphic details to my mother what has happened, she sits at her table and smiles with THE LOOK.  The look with no words, but what the bubble over her head is really saying, “Oh it’s not so much fun now when the shoe is on the other foot”.   The bubble might as well say beneath it, “I have waited 36 years for this and the day is finally here and I couldn’t be happier”.  It’s not as though I haven’t heard that come from her mouth before.  We have all heard the saying, “Enjoy your kids when they are young because they grow up too fast”.  That is such a valid point, but really when your kids are rolling their eyes are you, refuse to clean their rooms. . And the term FLUSH THE TOILET doesn’t register, enjoyment isn’t the first thing that comes to my mind.  It’s more on the line of not being able to control the excitement of the thought of the having their own children one day.  I will also let you all in on a little secret.  I am a working stay at home mom that is REALLY excited about the Tuesday after Labor Day.  Until next week my friends. 

Allie Enge

Thief River Falls, MN

No comments:

Post a Comment