Wednesday, July 17, 2013

High Heels and Dirty Dishes Issue # 1

Being a writer has never really been a dream of mine, although I found out a long time ago that I wasn’t really good at showing my emotions. So sometimes after a really crappy day, I would write. I am not Anne Frank and after I die, there is not going to be a notebook of unpublished writings. I usually would type out what was on my mind, and then click the delete button after every letter. It was only three years ago after my stroke that my writings were shared with people and that is because my family started a Caringbridge site, people started commenting to me and my family about my writings and said that they would like more. I am not a professional, and I am sure that my grammar is not going to be right. If you are reading my column to pick out the things that I am not using in proper terms, well get a highlighter and make it a part of your weekly ritual. My name is Allie, or when my mom is upset with me Allison. I am 36 years old, and yes my mother still gets upset with me. Writing this column is probably one of the most exciting things and honestly one of the scariest. I write about real things, I write the truth and sometimes the truth is not a fun thing to realize after you read it on paper. I don’t know what this column is going to lead to; I just know that I am happiest when I write. I am a real person, I have kids, I am married, and I have my own business. I have made mistakes in my life, and did something’s that I am not proud of. I might even write about them. When I shared with my family that I got this column they were all excited for me, HOWEVER. . . they did also say, “YOU BETTER NOT WRITE ABOUT ME”. How can I not write about them? For the love of God my father married my mother, and his brother married her sister, and their other brother married their first cousin? That in itself should have people talking for days. It is legal though, may raise a few eyebrows, and some figuring in the head. Let’s just say that those Bjerklie boys found good stock in those Sjulestads girls and didn’t have to travel too far north of the Neptune Bridge to find love. They have helped define who I am today. So I have to come up with some “fake names” for them. Like my aunt Joni maybe referred to as my friend Janice and my cousin Kelly will have to be Keisha my cousin from my father’s side. I am real; I am a north of Gully girl who can’t jump on a trampoline without peeing in my pants. I have a robust fear of public bathrooms, and I am completely aware that I swear too much. I grew up on a farm North of Gully. When I moved to the city it meant living close to Thief River Falls. I believe in Jesus, and if that offends you I am not sorry. I have learned that life is too short, and if I have an issue with someone I go right to the source. I have learned that people don’t like that. . . keeps life interesting. I have been dealt some pretty tough hands of cards in my life, and yes many times when I write I cry, sometimes I don’t even know why. It’s not fun realizing that you are angry with your brother who was killed, or upset at the fact that no matter how hard I try I look like Elaine from “Seinfeld” when I dance. Or that I can’t make banana bread like my little brother Lucas. I still think that he bought it from an Amish road side stand in Western North Dakota, and took a picture of it and tagged me on Facebook, just to make me mad. Welcome to my journey of writing. If you get anything out of this column, know that it is ok to be real. It’s ok not to call that 1-800 number that they talk about on the TV for loss of bladder control if you cough, sneeze, laugh, dance, or jump on a trampoline. You see I have this friend named Janice, and this cousin on my father’s side name Keisha that it happens to also. Keep it real, keep it honest, and I have found in life to be myself. Some people don't like me as myself, but I have found complete happiness in the ones that do. Until next week my friends.

Allie Enge
Thief River Falls, Minnesota

No comments:

Post a Comment